Meet coach Isabel Ponce. Though Isabel has been with us for about 5 years, she just returned back to coaching at Skyline CrossFit. We are happy to have her back!
How did you get into fitness and CrossFit?
- I grew up with all brothers always outside playing and started in sports since elementary. So I love being outdoors, traveling and hiking. In high school I decided to focus on soccer and played club through the first 2 years in collage then did intramural sports for fun. After collage i began to focus on long distance running and did a couple of triathlons and duathlons along with yoga. Zach (my fiancee) won a raffle for a membership at Skyline Crossfit through a classmate during PT school and soon after I decided to give it a shot. I realized I was “in shape” but not "fit" or strong and have been in love with the Crossfit methodology since!!
Why did you want to become a coach?
- Coaching is something i’ve always gravitated toward. I coached young girls in soccer while I was in collage and I love understanding the process of “things”. Also although I have always been athletic I was never the star athlete, but was consistent and worked hard. I consider myself coachable and therefore I appreciate the other side of that which is coaching. Seeing a person through a struggle and process and helping them realize what they are capable of. As a nurse I also believe that Crossfit is a way of life that can aide in our human struggle against metabolic disease. I have personally experienced amazing health changes because of Crossfit and the lifestyle it leads you towards!
What is your favorite part of CrossFit?
- 100% the process. I just love putting the work in. Crossfit always has something you are not good at even if you do everything well, the combination of skill and movement will always cause there to be a factor in place that may smack you in the face and make you realize you have something to work on. Knowing that I will always need to push past fear and doubt mentally to achieve the physical results I consider an amazing feeling.
What are your certifications and coaching experience?
- I have a Bachlors in Science of Nursing along with a Bachelors in Spanish with a biology minor. Through nursing I hold multiple certifications for BLS, ACLS, TNCC, PALS, etc.
- I hold a Crossfit L1 Trainer Certification along with a Crossfit Scaling Course Certification
- I have been coaching with Skyline coming up on 2 years officially. Originally starting at Humble Crossfit with the guys and recently moved to coaching at our Skyline Location primarily.
Gymnastic Skills and Drills
1) 3x6 KB Arm Bar Stretch
6 each arm
2) 10 Proper HS Kick Ups
to 3 sec freestanding HS
3)15x Tempo Dragon Flags
count 10 sec front top to bottom position
2)Reverse Hyper 4x20
1) Clean from Blocks (above knee):
2rm (drop each rep and reset
quickly)- 1×2@95%, 1×2@90%
2) Split Jerk off Blocks (drop each
rep): 2rm- 1×2@95%, 1×2@90%
Overhead squat (135/95)
Chest to bar pull-ups